on the Conservation of Bats in Europe
- From "The Convention on Migratory Species".
Bat Conservation International,
- I can't make out whether this is a commercial site or not, but it
offers a lot of useful and intersting information.
Bats! Bats! Bats!
- A New Zealand based commercial site, offering a fair amount of
for Bat Conservation
- An organisation, founded in 1990, "dedicated to protecting all
bats through education, conservation, rescue, and ecological
research". This is a large and fascinating site.
Audubon Society of
Central Arkansas (ASCA)
- Details of the Society, its newsletter, and other bird-related
[i.e., U.S.] Audubon Society
- Information about the Society, its campaigns and other activities,
Royal Society for the
Protection of Birds
- There's nothing here yet, but this is where the RSPB is destined to
have its Web Page. Meanwhile, you could try the Nottinghamshire Branch,
whose Web Page actually exists...
Dolphins on the
- Symbios Logic's page of dolphin-related links.
- Protected Marine
Species Research and Information Page
- Prop. Wesley R. Elsberry. Lots of information, plus links to related
- Information about the countries whose barbarism is threatening these
creatures, and about what can be and is being done to stop/civilise
them. Plus material on pollution, current research, campaigns, etc., and
how to join the Society.
- Whale Information Network
- Part of the South Australian Web. It offers a good deal of general
interest, plus information for Australian whale-watchers.
- Not really an environmental site, but there are lots of pictures of
elephants, plus links to elephant-related sites. Maintained by Nicole
- Elephants page
- Maintained by Dey Alexander. Links to various elephant-related
sites. I'm afraid that it rather non-Greenly includes motorcycles, too.
- Maintained by Alasdair McKee. Information about chimpanzee-rescue
organisations, lots of links to relevant sites, and other material.
- Details of the Institute, of parks & sanctuaries, educational
projects, membership, events, etc. See also the Jane Goodall
Research Centre at the University of Southern California.
- Details of GAP's work and aims, publications and other materials, and
the opportunity to down-load and sign the Declaration on Great
Environmental Aspects of the African Great Lakes Region
- Maintained by Linda Black. "On-line poster of the
African Great Lakes Region, including the following aspects: Landsat
images of Lac Kivu, elevation, human population growth, land cover
characterization, monthly changes in vegetation, and drainage basins. The
site also includes small sampling of links related to the Great Lakes
The Last Wild
Horses in Western Canada
- "There may be as few as 100 purebred wild mustangs left roaming
the foothills of the Rockies in the provinces of Alberta and British
Columbia, in western Canada. At one time these magnificent creatures
numbered in the millions in the West.
Today they are hunted and
skinned like muskrats."
Badly frames-crippled, but I've linked to a
- "a non-profit making Trust charged with protecting
and developing Britain's largest area of man made lakes. All manner of
amenities and sports are available as well as bookable
Party - unfortunately not usable with a text-based browser
Species of Cyprus
- "an independent and non-governmental research body, conducting
problem-oriented and multi-discplinary forest research at the European
level in order to serve the needs of policy-making and decision-making
bodies in Europe."
Trust of Lincolnshire
- "a charity established in 1988 to protect and
promote Lincolnshire's rich heritage. Involved in a wide range of
activities including historic buildings work and advice (we are a
registered Building Preservation Trust), archaeological research and
excavation, archaeological consultancy, managing historic properties and
ancient monuments, promoting heritage events (we organise the annual
Lincolnshire Heritage Open Days weekend) and publish books and booklets on
- "There are contributions from field staff and
members, with particular emphasis on conservation, natural history and
education. Information, with photographs, on Trust reserves and
activities, endangered species and habitats is aimed at supporting
schools, colleges and libraries, as well as the general public and other
East and East Africa Environmental Law
- Covering countries from Bahrain to Egypt, and Israel to Saudi Arabia.
New Forest and Pony
- "concerned with the rehabilitation of abused horses and ponies.
We are also looking for a web developer who might be interested in
maintaining this site in future."
Protection Group: Conservation of Birds of Prey in N.W. England &
- "Fascinating insight into the work being undertaken by Britain's
first raptor protection group to conserve rare and endangered upland birds
- "De Ommer Marke" is an organisation that tries to keep the
country livable. In recent years, government and nature groups came up
with a lot of rules and laws. These rules are best for the environment,
but they ask a lot of changes from people. Members of "De Ommer
Marke" consult with members of the gouvernment to try to help with
Recycling Council of
- Information, events, databases, publications, etc. Some of this is
purely local, but there's more generally useful information too. Not very
- Maintained by Zbigniew Zwolinski. "Although hard circumstances
and destructive existence put (and is continuously putting) a big dent on
ecology in Poland - not everything is lost. There are 22 national parks
covering about 1 percent of the coun try area. Their primary goal is to
study and preserve the unity of natural systems of the area, as well as to
restore the disturbed or extinct elements of native nature."
- Information and relevant links.
Change Unit (Oxford University)
- Land Degradation and Rehabilitation Programme. Information about the
problem and the programme, plus links to relevant (mainly governmental)
- "This site promotes awareness of the eroding environment. It
contains the latest environmental issues as well as some environmental
magazines. A section devoted to links to other sites will be added
Global Change &
- A project of the International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme.
- "Founded in 1989 by Cornell Students for the
Treatment of Animals (CSETA), AnimaLife is a forum for discussion,
information, and education about animal rights and liberation issues.
Though primarily written by and for Cornell students, AnimaLife is
interested in publishing animal rights articles, poems, cartoons, etc.,
from anyone, especially other college students."
Animal Rights Resource Site
- An EnviroLink site.
- "an electronic, peer-reviewed, scientific journal.
There is no charge for subscription. The journal will cover a range of
topics including the ecological bases for: i) the conservation of
ecosystems, landscapes, species, populations and genetic diversity, ii)
the restoration of ecosystems and habitats, and iii) the management of
resources. In addition to insightful papers by such authors as Simon
Levin, Steven Carpenter, Don Ludwig, and Carl Folke, the inaugural issue
will include a thought-provoking series on the subject of science, policy,
Conservation Ecology seeks to tighten the link between research and
policy development. To that end, we are dedicated to rapid
publication of research results in the widely accessible medium of the
Internet. The journal solicits comments on published articles and
will link those accepted directly to the article in question. We will
also conduct on-line public forums, or conferences, on key
- Details of committees, reports, documents, etc.
- Numerous environmental projects, lots of information.
- An EnviroLink project.
Text and Low
Graphics Version | High-End Graphics
- Giant Pandas
- "Collection of the endangered giant panda and red panda resources
on the Net: photos, ascii graphics, Websites."
Earth Day Activity
- Peter Singer
- A link to the appropriate section of my own pages.
- Tree of Life
- "The Tree of Life is a project designed to contain information
about the phylogenetic relationships of organisms, to link biological
information available on the Internet in the form of a phylogenetic
navigator, and to illustrate the diversity and unity of living
- World Dictionary of
- By Miroslav M. Grandtner.
- WWF - World Wide Fund For
- WWW page on Environmental Ethics
- University of Gothenburg's page, available in Swedish and English. Lots of information,
especially about Scandinavian countries.
- "the U.K.'s oldest, and largest, animal rights
organisation". Campaigns against animal experimentation and other
forms of animal cruelty.
- "Protesters Supporters Page" -- campaigning against live
Action for Animals
- Hosted by envirolink.
American Anti-Vivisection Society
Animal Liberation Collective
- Based at the University of Guelph.
- Minnesota-based organisation; site hosted by envirolink.
the Abolition of Angling
- Hosted by envirolink.
Trust for Humane Research
- Dedicated to researching humane alternatives to animal
experimentation. Site hosted by envirolink.
- European Coalition to
End Animal Experiments
- Friends of the Earth
- Plus the Scottish FoE Site.
- Should need no introduction. Perhaps best known either for daredevil
stunts or for being the victim of various French governments' arrogant
disregard for both common morality and international law. They don't
only talk, they do.
- Johns Hopkins Centre for
Alternatives to Animal Testing
- Pretty much what it says.
- League Against Cruel Sports
- The main U.K. campaigning organisation.
- U.K. organisation; site hosted by envirolink.
- National Anti-Vivisection Society
- U.S. campaigning society.
Against Nuclear Dumping
- Information about the organisation, its aims, work, and membership
- Surfers Against Sewage
- In the news recently, having won a victory against the polluters.
Worth a look, even though they describe themselves as "cool".