My research aims to improve the effectiveness of tests and treatments for people with long-term, progressive conditions, particularly diabetes, and to improve the way that they are targeted at those people most likely to benefit through appropriate monitoring of the condition.
- Farmer AJ, Perera R, Ward A, Heneghan C, Oke J, Barnett AH, Davidson MB, Guerci B, Coates V, Schwedes U, O'Malley S. Meta-analysis of individual patient data in randomised trials of self monitoring of blood glucose in people with non-insulin treated type 2 diabetes. BMJ. 2012;344:e486. doi: 10.1136/bmj.e486.
- Farmer A, Hardeman W, Hughes D, Prevost AT, Kim Y, Craven A, Oke J, Boase S, Selwood M, Kellar I, Graffy J, Griffin S, Sutton S, Kinmonth AL. An explanatory randomised controlled trial of a nurse-led, consultation-based intervention to support patients with adherence to taking glucose lowering medication for type 2 diabetes. BMC Fam Pract. 2012 Apr 5;13(1):30.
- Holman RR, Farmer AJ, Davies MJ, Levy JC, Darbyshire JL, Keenan JF, Paul SK; 4-T Study Group. Three-year efficacy of complex insulin regimens in type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med. 2009 Oct 29;361(18):1736-47.
- Simon J, Gray A, Clarke P, Wade A, Neil A, Farmer A. Cost effectiveness of self monitoring of blood glucose in patients with non- insulin treated type 2 diabetes: economic evaluation of data from the DiGEM trial. BMJ 2008; 05/24;336(7654):1177-80.
- Farmer A, Wade A, Goyder E, Yudkin P, French D, Craven A, Holman R, Kinmonth A-L, Neil HA, for the Diabetes Glycaemic Education and Monitoring Trial Group. Impact of self-monitoring of blood glucose in the management of patients with non-insulin treated diabetes: open parallel group randomised trial. BMJ 2007; 335:132.
- Campbell C, Murray E, Darbyshire J, Emery J, Farmer A, Griffiths F, Guthrie B, Lester H, Wilson P, Kinmonth AL. Designing and evaluating complex interventions to improve health care. BMJ 2007; 334: 455-9.
- Farmer AJ, Gibson O, Dudley C, Bryden K, Hayton P, Tarassenko L, Neil A. A randomised controlled trial of the effects of real-time telemedicine support on glycemic control in young adults with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care 2005; 28; 2697-702.