(updated: August 2013)
|2007-||Fairfax Fellow and Tutor in Philosophy, Balliol College, Oxford
CUF Lecturer in Philosophy, University of Oxford
|2005-2007||Junior Research Fellow, The Queen’s College, Oxford|
|2010||Visiting Professor, Department of Linguistics and Philosophy, MIT|
|2004-2007||DPhil in Philosophy, University of Oxford.
Title: ‘Category Mistakes’; Supervisor: Timothy Williamson
|2002-2004||BPhil in Philosophy, University of Oxford
Options: Aristotle, Formal Logic, Philosophy of Logic and Language
|1998-2002||BSc in Philosophy, Mathematics, and Computer Science
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Category Mistakes, Oxford University Press (2013)
- ‘Semantic Sovereignty’, (with Stephen Kearns), Philosophy and Phenomenological Research 85 (2012): 322-350
- ‘Strict Finitism and the Happy Sorites’, Journal of Philosophical Logic 41 (2012): 471-491.
- ‘Arbitrary Reference’, (with Wylie Breckenridge), Philosophical Studies 158 (2012): 377-400.
- ‘Arguments by Leibniz’s Law in Metaphysics’, Philosophy Compass 6 (2011): 180-195.
- ‘Assertion and Epistemic Opacity’, (with John Hawthorne), Mind 119 (2010): 1087-1105.
- ‘Natural Language and How We Use It: Psychology, Pragmatics, and Presupposition’, (extended critical notice of Soames, Philosophical Essays vol. 1), Analysis 70 (2010): 160-174.
- ‘Category Mistakes are Meaningful’, Linguistics & Philosophy 32 (2009): 553-581.
- ‘The Last Dogma of Type-confusions’, Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society 109 (2009): 1-29.
- ‘Assertion, Context, and Epistemic Accessibility’, (with John Hawthorne), Mind 118 (2009): 377-197.
- ‘Epistemicism about vagueness and Meta-linguistic Safety’, (with Stephen Kearns) Philosophical Perspectives 22 (2008): 277-304.
- ‘Another Note on Zeno’s Arrow’, Phronesis 53 (2008), pp. 359-272.
- ‘Strict Finitism Refuted?’, Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society VII (2007): 403-411.
- Review of Peter Ludlow, The Philosophy of Generative Linguistics, Analysis 72 (2012): 844-846.
- Review of Robert Stalnaker, Our Knowledge of the Internal World, Philosophical Review 119 (2010): 384-391.
selected talks (by topic)
- Reference Workshop, University of Oslo (CSMN), August 2007
- Philosophical Logic Workshop, University of Oxford, March 2008
- Analytic Philosophy of Mind and Language, Maison Francaise, Oxford,December 2011
Assertion, context, and epistemic accessibility
- Second Oxford-Paris Philosophy of Language Workshop, Oxford, June 2007
- UCL Linguistics Department, May 2008
- Assertion Workshop, University of St. Andrews (Arché/CSMN), May 2008
- Formal Philosophy Seminar, , University of Leuven, March 2009
Assertion and epistemic opacity
- Departmental Seminar, University of Nottingham, March 2011
- Logic, Language, and Metaphysics Seminar, University of Leeds, March 2011
Category mistakes (various papers)
- Fifth Annual Columbia/NYU graduate conference, New York, 2005
- Departmental Colloquium, Rutgers University, February 2006
- Departmental Colloquium, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, March 2006
- Departmental Colloquium, MIT, January 2007
- Departmental Colloquium, University of Durham, November 2007
Category mistakes and figurative language
- 'Go Figure: understanding figures of speech', London, June 2013
- Sixth European Congress of Analytic Philosophy, Krakow, August 2008
Epistemicism about vagueness and meta-linguistic safety
- The London Logic and Metaphysics Form, The Institute of Philosophy, November 2007
- Vagueness and Language Use, Éccole Normale Supérieure, Paris, April 2008
- Phlox Inaugural Workshop, Berlin, September 2008
The last dogma of type confusions
- The Aristotelian Society, London, October 2008
- Mathematical Methods in Philosophy Workshop, University of Bristol, September 2008
- Philosophical Society, University of Oxford, May 2009
The myth of the De Se
- Colloquium, Rutgers University, March 2013
- Keynote talk at SPR-11, University of Basque Country, November 2011
- De-Se Workshop, Arché Centre, University of St. Andrews, December 2011
- Colloquium, Reading University, March 2012
- Colloquium, Brown University, March 2012
- Departmental Seminar, The Faculty of Linguistics, Philology, and Phonetics, University of Oxford, April 2012
Reflections on Leibniz’s Law
- Conference in honour of Dorothy Edgington, Institute of Philosophy, London, May 2011
- Third Oxford-Paris workshop on Language and Ontology, Paris, June 2008
- Departmental Seminar, University of Manchester, March 2009
- Senior Seminar, University of Leeds, March 2009
- Logos Colloquium, University of Barcelona, April 2009
- Work in Progress Seminar, MIT, February 2010
- Departmental Seminar, Boston University, March 2010
- Departmental Colloquium, University of Texas, Austin, May 2010
- University of Oslo (CSMN), August 2011
Strict finitism and the happy sorites
- Workshop on Vagueness and Metaphysics, University of Barcelona, June 2009
- Logic Group, University of Connecticut, February 2010
- Institut Jean-Nicold, Paris, February 2011
Strict finitism refuted?
- The Finitism, Intuitionism, and Computation Work Group, Hebrew University of Jerusalem, April 2006
- The Oxford Philosophy of Mathematics Seminar, May 2006
- Graduate Session of the Mind Association and Aristotelian Society Joint Sessions, July 2006
Commentaries and responses
- Gideon Rosen, ‘”Mistake of fact” and moral blame’, SOFIA, Mexico, January 2007
- Timothy Williamson, ‘Reference, inference and the semantics of pejoratives’, Implicature Workshop, University of Oslo (CSMN), November 2007
- Nate Charlow, ‘Proper names, presuppositions, and the a priori’, Oxford Graduate Philosophy Conference, November 2007
- Sarah Moss, ‘On the pragmatics of counterfactuals’, BSPC, August 2008
- Adam Stewart-Wallace, ‘Real, impoverished, and imperial context shifting arguments’, Oxford Graduate Philosophy Conference, November 2008
- Jeff King, ‘Questions of Unity’, Philosophical Logic Workshop, Princeton University, May 2009
- Mihaela Poppa, ‘Pure Semantics facing the Psychological Reality Charge’, Oxford Graduate Philosophy Conference, November 2009.
- Sean Aas, ‘Necessity and (as?) normativity’, APA Eastern Division, Boston, December 2010
- Dean Zimmerman, 'Materialism, dualism, and “simple” theories of personal identity', Oxford Metaphysics Workshop, September 2011
(*not including graduate supervision)
- Philosophy of Logic and Language (2008, 2009)
graduate lectures and seminars
- Metaphysics and Epistemology BPhil Seminar (2007, with Antony Eagle)
- Introduction to Semantics for Philosophy Graduate Students (2008, with Timothy Williamson)
- Metaphysics and Epistemology BPhil Seminar (2009, with Gonzalo Rodriguez-Pereyra)
- Philosophy of Logic and Language BPhil Seminar (2009, with Cian Dorr)
- Philosophy of Logic and Language BPhil Seminar (2010)
- Seminar for First Year Graduate (2011, with John Hawthorne)
- Between Semantics and Pragmatics, Graduate Seminar (2011)
undergraduate tutorials & Classes (multiple times)
- Frege’s Foundations of Arithmetic
- General Philosophy
- History of Philosophy from Descartes of Kant (esp. Descartes, Hume, Locke)
- Knowledge and Reality
- Logic: Introduction to Logic; Elements of Deductive Logic; Formal Logic;
- Philosophy of Logic and Language
- Philosophy of Mathematics
- Undergraduate Thesis Supervision
selected external service
- Member of the Editorial Board of Disputatio
- Referee for Australasian Journal of Philosophy, BSPC, Candian Journal of Philosophy, Dialectica, Disputatio, Journal of Philosophical Logic, Linguistics and Philosophy, Mind, Philosophia, Philosophical Quarterly, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, Ratio, and Synthese.
- Editor of the ‘Assertion’ category in PhilPapers
- Member of the research network, Metaphysical Indeterminacy (AHRC-funded project at University of Leeds).
- Academic advisor for the Open University, Israel
- PhD examiner, University of Oslo (Torffin Huvenes, ‘Disagreement, Context and Relative Truth’, August 2011)
- PhD examiner, University of Leeds (Mirja Holst, 'Ordering Semantics for Incomplete Descriptions', April 2012)
- Intensive research seminar at the Logic, Language, and Cognition Centre, Hebrew University of Jerusalem (January 2012)
- Appointment committee for non-stipendiary JRF in Philosophy, Jesus College, Oxford (June 2011)
- Appointment committee for postdoctoral research fellowship in philosophical logic, University of Oslo (May 2012)
selected internal service
University of Oxford
- BPhil Course Co-ordinator (2011-2013)
- Graduate Studies Committee (2008-continuing)
- Submitted successful application to the Mellon foundation, for Mellon Career Development Fellowship in Semantics (2009)
- Appointment committee for Mellon Career Development Fellowship in Semantics (2009)
- Appointment committee for Departmental Lectureship (vice Prof. Williamson) (2010)
- Appointment committee for CUF Fellowship at Corpus Christi College (faculty representative) (2011)
- Range of examining duties (multiple service as: assessor for Philosophy of Logic and Language, Knowledge and Reality; PPE examiner; BPhil Thesis assessor; BPhil assessor for Philosophy of Logic and Language; Assessor for Confirmation of Status application)
- Philosophy Faculty Panel
- Organising Philosophy tutor for PPE
- Head of Balliol PPE (HT-TT 2012)
- College Academic Committee (2009)
- Appointment committee for the Junior Research Fellowships in Arts & Social Science (2009)
- Undergraduate admission interviews
- College Governing Body and Tutorial Board