Developing a persistent, inflammation-free gene therapy for Cystic Fibrosis lung disease.

Ian A. Pringle, Stephanie G. Sumner-Jones, Mary M. Connolly, Lee A. Davies, Stephen C. Hyde & Deborah R. Gill.

Download   Back

Early in 2013 NICE approved a new small-molecule therapeutic for Cystic Fibrosis (CF), a genetic disease where the lungs eventually fail due to repeated bacterial infection. Unfortunately, the drug, costing ~$300K per year per patient, only helps 4% of CF sufferers who carry the G551D mutation in the CFTR gene. For the remaining 96% of CF patients, carrying one of the other >1800 known mutations, the only realistic hope is to find a 'universal corrector' such as gene therapy. Non-viral CFTR gene transfer, where cationic liposomes are complexed with plasmid DNA, can partially correct the ion-transport defects associated with CF, although the effects to date have been transient. In order to offer patients realistic clinical benefit, we further developed our non-viral formulation by: 1) generating a novel plasmid entirely free of CG dinucleotides (CpGs detected by TLR-9), to minimise inflammatory responses; 2) constructing novel promoter sequences capable of persistent CFTR expression in the mouse lung; 3) performing large animal toxicology studies in the sheep lung; 4) procuring the manufacture of >80g of clinical grade plasmid; 5) selecting an nebuliser for delivery of droplets to the CF lung; and 6) performing a dose-escalation Phase I/IIa safety study in CF patients. The results showed that a single dose to the nose and lungs of CF patients administered via a nebuliser was safe and could correct the CF ion transport defect for up to 3 months following a single administration. When the new formulation was repeatedly aerosolised to the mouse lung, there was a dose- dependent increase in CFTR expression in the lungs confirming that our new formulation is suitable for repeated aerosol delivery (once a month for 1 year) to CF patients in a Phase IIb clinical trial. This study is the largest CF gene therapy trial ever conducted (~130 UK patients) was initiated in 2012. To date, over 80 CF patients have received at least one dose. No drug-related SAEs have been observed, and the independent data monitoring and ethics committee has approved full patient recruitment. The results of the study are expected in early 2014.

Home
News
Introductory Videos
Medical Futures Innovation Award 2011
Twitter Feed
About Us
Contact Us
Careers
Resources
Lab Events
Environemental Policy
About this Site

Google Site Search

Site Feedback Form

All Site Images

 

UK CFGTC

How the Consortium works/FAQs

Consortium Website

Centre for Molecular Medicine, Edinburgh
The Roslin Institute
Dep of Gene Therapy, Imperial

Milestones

GL67A/pGM169

The Run-in Study

Single Dose Clinical Trial

Multi Dose Clinical Trial

 

Our Research

Non-viral Vector Development

Aerosol Mediated Gene Delivery

Viral Vector Development

Taqman Core Facility

Cystic Fibrosis

History of CF

Discovery of the CFTR Gene

CFTR Protein Structure

CFTR Function

CF Links

 

Gene Therapy

Introduction to Gene Therapy

Other CF Gene Therapy Groups

Why use Gene Therapy for CF

Target Cells for CF Gene Therapy

Barriers for CF Gene Therapy

Clinical Trials

Gene Therapy Successes

Gene Therapy Links

 

 

Publications

Papers in Journals

Conference Posters & Presentations

Book Chapters

D.Phil Theses

Lectures

 

Gene Therapy Seminars

Schedule

Directions & Venue