English for Academic Studies
Summer Pre-Sessional Course in English for Academic Purposes 2015
The courses are designed to prepare international students and academic visitors for study at the University of Oxford. However, students going on to another institution of higher education where English is the medium of instruction may also be accepted if places are available.
About the course / Dates and Fees 2015 / The organisation of the course / Admission requirements / Accommodation / Registration
About the course
Students coming to study at the University of Oxford or elsewhere will be much better equipped to meet the demands of their academic life and do well in their studies if they attend a pre-sessional course. They will also be able to integrate into the social life of a university more easily.
During the courses, students will develop their skills in:
- Understanding lectures
- Reading academic texts effectively
- Taking notes from lectures and written texts
- Writing academic essays
- Participating in seminars and discussions
- Giving presentations
- Interacting in social situations
The courses will also include general study skills and cultural orientation.
Back to top
Dates and fees 2015
Course A: Monday 27 July - Friday 18 September (8 weeks) £2,550
Course B: Monday 27 July - Friday 21 August (4 weeks) £1,330
Course C: Monday 24 August - Friday 18 September (4 weeks) £1,330
Please note that for all courses, a deposit of £200 is payable at the time of application. The balance is to be paid before the start of the course and the deposit is non-refundable.
Back to top
The organisation of the course
- 20 hours of tuition each week at the Language Centre
- Small groups of around 12 people per class
- Students have access to all of the facilities of the Language Centre, including the library, audio- and video-rooms and multi-media computers
- Includes a programme of visits to places of interest
- Students with a conditional or unconditional offer from Oxford University are given priority
- Prospective students should note that the minimum English language requirement for postgraduate students at Oxford University is IELTS 7.0 or TOEFL ibT 100. Some courses require higher scores. For complete details, click here
- Students who have IELTS 6.5/TOEFL ibT 88 are recommended to attend the eight-week course (Course A). Students without a score need to show their level of competence in English in order to be accepted on the course
Students who are coming to study at Oxford University may be housed by their own colleges, which they should contact as soon as possible to make appropriate arrangements.
Students who are not intending to study at Oxford will need to make their own arrangements for accommodation. The Language Centre can provide some information about accommodation in Oxford
Back to top
Please download the registration form and submit it using one of the following methods:
- By e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By fax: +44 1865 283 366
Or by post to:
The Assistant Director (EPS 2015)
University of Oxford
12 Woodstock Rd
Oxford OX2 6HT