Multilingual Language Links
Below are the links to the external websites. Language Centre takes no responsibility for the content of these websites.
CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning) / Dictionaries / General / Language Exchange and Language cards (flashcards) / Language Guides / Miscellaneous / Radio / Search Engines / Television / Translation links / Verbs / e-books
CALL (Computer Assisted Language Learning)
- CALL softwares held at Oxford University Language Centre Excel , Pdf (warning: some old material might not be longer compatible with our new computers)
- Language Learning Technology Journal
All the dictionaries listed below will not have the same quality as online referential material offered by the OXLIP+ platform of Oxford University for University staff and students
- Bab.la dictionaries with some audio-files (machine generated)
- Lexilogos a gateway in French to many dictionaries including less commonly taught languages.
- Links to online dictionaries for multiple languages
- Your Dictionary A gateway to general and specialist dictionaries and word lists plus grammar and morphology in a variety of languages. Includes look up in English and many other languages, translations from one language to another plus some very unusual combinations of bilingual dictionaries.
- Atlas on Endangered Languages project by Unesco
- Bibliu.com an innovative way of learning a language
- Corpora in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Polish, Portuguese, Russian and Spanish
- Links from the library's Delicious pages and Twitter
- Digital Dialects website Language learning for more than 50 languages
- Ethnologue Languages of the world
- Google News Archive a collection of hundreds of digitised newspapers
- iLoveLanguages A catalogue of over 2500 language-releated internet resources
- FAMiliarization a website with language learning for many languagers including less commonly taught, from DLIFLC, Monterey, U.S.A.
- FSI language courses from the Foreign Service Institute, U.S.A.
- Languages online several languages available, for beginners only as it only introduces a few points of vocabulary and grammar
- Language Practice Publishing several languages available with lots of extracts for free, including audio
- Learn Language online created by a student from Oxford University, for Chinese, French, Japanese and Russian
- Lextutor corpora for English, French, German and Spanish
- Linguacast from Newcastle University with many podcasts
- Linguistics at Oxford
- LORO (Languages Open Resources Online) from the Open University
- MIT course material
- Modern Languages at Oxford
- Multilanguage 1webs directory
- National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages from the U.S.A.
- Omniglot writing systems and languages for the world. A referential site created and updated by Simon Ager
- OnlineNewspapers.com thousands of newspapers online
- Readlang many languages combinations possible, European framework of language levels (A1 to C2)
- Search Language Language Resources Directory. A wide variety of language resources available on the Internet including dictionaries, grammar, online courses, translation, literature and author sites.
- Universed a Newcastle University Project for Routes into Languages, full of videos and audio materials
- Wikipedia.org the free encyclopedia online
- WordChamp - online dictionary, flashcards, conjugation charts and more
Language Exchange and Language Cards (Flashcards)
- Oxford University Language Centre exchange available for members of the University. On display in the ground floor. If you cannot find the language you are looking for, fill up a form and give it to reception.
- Anki language cards
- byki language cards
- The Language Trade facebook application created by Edward Weng, user of the Language Centre. Reserved only for Oxford University and Princeton University students.
- Busuu.com language exchange (some parts of the service not free)
- italki language exchange
- FairTradeLanguageSchool online courses including some less commonly spoken languages
- LiveMocha language exchange
- Melting Point language exchange via skype
- Memrise language cards, works also well with smart phone
- MyHappyPlanet language exchange
- Quizlet language cards
- UniBabel.co.uk language exchange created by an Oxford University graduate. You can also search by city.
- Ethnologue Catalogue of more than 6700 languages by name and by family.
- Language Directory contains useful links for many languages
- Language Materials Project database of materials for less commonly taught languages from UCLA.
- 1st international collection of tongue twisters In 57 languages.
- CIA World Factbook general information on countries. Regularly updated. A referential site.
- Digital Dialects a website containing many games for 60 languages
- Folk pages on wikipedia
- Foreigncy learn a language through news for Arabic, Chinese, Hebrew, Persian, Urdu and Russian
- Free learning resources including videos
- LINGUIST list
- TED Open Translation Project with offers subtitles for many of the videos available online (all videos are originally in English)
- Type it a website that helps you type foreign languages
- ABYZ News Links Portal for links to media across the world.
- Multiple Language Radio Stations
- Ask.com uk (previously Ask Jeeves) Allows questions in ordinary English.
- Blindsearch allows you to compare between three search engines: Bling, Google and Yahoo
- Cervantes Spanish search engine
- Dino-online German search engine
- Google try also Google France for French searches, Google Germany for German searches etc...
- Rambler Russian search engine
- Voila French search engine
- Web.de German search engine
- The Library has television for the following channels: Al Jazeerah (Arabic) BBC (English) TV5, France 5/Arte (French), NDR, ZDF (German) Rai Uno (Italian) RTPI (Portuguese from Portugal) Russia24 (Russian) TVE (Spanish, Spain).
- Conjugation.io verb conjugations in English, French, German, Italian and Spanish
- Verbs Online practice in verb conjugation for French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese and English.
- Internet Archives a great collection of e-books, including audio
- Project Gutenberg a great collection of e-books, including audio