LOU'S MONTHLY REPORT FOR OCTOBER

(including at no extra charge, Lou's Monthly Reports for August and September)

Much time has been spent in connexion with OUP's new edition of Shakespeare. All the Howard-Hill folio texts have been processed into usable form; the task of proof reading and adding COCOA references continued throughout this period, and has now accelerated with the appearance of an editorial assistant from OUP. Programs to produce the compositorial index were written ages ago and still seem to be working.

During August I got myself into a terrible state preparing a paper for presentation at a Conference on Database Applications in the Humanities & Social Sciences to be held after ICCH4 at Dartmouth College. Efforts to get IDMSX running under 5X32 in order to substantiate the claims in the paper (which concerned our only IDMSX application) were unsuccessful, so they (the claims) had to be moderated, but they (the efforts) continue. ICCH4 was an impressive experience; I heard news of all sorts of projects likely and unlikely, acquired 3 magtapes of text and several inches of printed blurb, and met too many people to list here.

September began with my getting into a terrible state tidying up the previous paper for publication (camera ready copy produced by the Qume was sent off two days before the deadline), and preparing another, entirely different one, for presentation at the IUCC Symposium. A report on the symposium will appear in the next Newsletter. The last two weeks of September I spent on holiday in Italy, which was ok till the gelati ran out.

Somehow during this period, at least two IDMS projects made considerable progress: the clinical trials database for :RPM is well into testing, and initial loading of the dictionary database for :BROADBENT seems to be complete. October saw the start of a new project to hold information about vascular surgical operations (:KIDSON). I discussed another possible archaelogical project, but decided it was not worth using IDMS for. D.Doulton came from Southampton to discuss the ways and means of supporting IDMS (they plan to do so).

OXMTREAD has been rewritten and now has a user hook. Documentation of this and of OXMTWRITE is still incomplete.

Texts acquired for the Archive include complete works of Donne, Marlowe and the Gawayne Poet, major novels of Woolf, Joyce, Dostoevski, Lessing & Plath, and also the Lancaster Corpus of British English. We might have Chaucer too, if I could get round the parity error on the tape. Keats, re-edited to modern standard and nearly complete, came from Newcastle. About 5 texts of various sorts were issued.

A new version of 2900 Snobol, with bugs I reported in February reputedly fixed came but has not yet been tested. Preliminary talks with QMC suggest that they will be able to implement 2900 SPITBOL later this year.

I wrote papers for the IDMS User Group on Restructure, Statistics and Fortran Interface. Meetings were attended in London and Birmingham. Nothing much happened at any of them.

I attended a British Academy lecture by C.S.Butler who has been analysing Sylvia Plath with a computer; he gave short plugs for Cocoa, Oxeye &c to a largely incredulous audience.

I completed a series of four articles on Snobol for publication in the ALLC Bulletin.