1. The Unknown God: Searching for spiritual fulfilment (Oxford: Lion Publications, 1999). This was voted the best book on Christian spirituality published in 1999 by the influential journal Christianity Today.
2. In the Beginning: The Story of the King James Bible (New York: Doubleday, 2001).
3. The Twilight of Atheism: The Rise and Fall of Disbelief in the Modern World (New York: Doubleday, 2004).
4 The Dawkins Delusion? Atheist Fundamentalism and the Denial of the Divine. With Joanna Collicutt McGrath. (London: SPCK, 2007).
5. Mere Theology: Christian Faith and the Discipleship of the Mind (London: SPCK, 2010). North American edition published as The Passionate Intellect: Christian Faith and the Discipleship of the Mind (InterVarsity Press, 2010).
6 Surprised by Meaning: Science, Faith, and How We Make Sense of Things (Louisville, KY: Westminster John Knox Press, 2011).
7. Why God won’t go away (London: SPCK, 2011).
8. Mere Apologetics: How to Help Seekers and Skeptics Find Faith (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker, 2012).