First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Towards a definition of a VRE
- Virtual Research Environment
- “The purpose of a VRE is to help researchers in all disciplines manage the increasingly complex range of tasks involved in carrying out research... a framework of applications, services and resources to support the underlying processes of research.” (JISC)
- “A VRE comprises a set of online tools and other network resources and technologies interoperating with each other to facilitate or enhance the processes of research practitioners within and across institutional boundaries.” (based on Fraser, 2004)
- research process – framework – interoperating components – institutional
- Do research – access disparate resources – collaborate – location independent – Multi/inter-disciplinary
The JISC VRE phase 2 roadmap (http://www.grids.ac.uk/twiki/pub/EResearch/VreRoadmap2/JISC-BP-VRE2-final.pdf) contains the second definition based on one I devised in 2004. VREs are all about enabling research as well as delivering tools and resources independent of location, time or whether to individuals or teams.