First page Back Continue Last page Overview Graphics
Summary of functionality
Key functionality within VRE
- discovery services (compute, people, sources, events, funding)
- collaboration tools (shared view of data objects, desktop conferencing, community annotation)
- repository services (ingest, storage, export, control)
- location and time-independent access
- integration with physical environment
- integration/interoperability with institutional and domain e-infrastructure
e-infrastructure applied to the agreed requirements of research communities to enable research to take place
Through organisation, access and preservation to the food of scholarly endeavour libraries been fulfilling this forever...
- Just maybe getting bigger and more complex
- Role of individual libraries or collaborative virtual library environments?
The functional requirements for a VRE tend to be common across a number of projects although the priorities and processes to be supported differ.