Boat Race Collection: China
A limited range of quality "Bone China" has been manufactured under licence from the Oxford and Cambridge Boat Clubs, depicting some of the historical prints from before 1900.
These have been selected from the Illustrated London News of the time and chronicles in Cartoon by "Spy" from Vanity Fair.
- a) Coffee Mugs, each depicting one of the "Spy" Cartoons of Rowers. 'Bengie' and 'Crumb' (Oxford) and 'Fogg' and 'Chapman' (Cambridge).
- b) Small Pill box with lid: Each bears one of ten different sketches of various scenes from along the towpath, taken from the Illustrated London News of 1872.
- c) Large 4" Trinket box with lid. A scene of Putney waterfront, ILN 1872.
- d) 8" Round plate with Cambridge winning, ILN 1872.
- e) Small Tray and f) China Tankard, both decorated with a design from a copperplate sketch of Oxford winning at the Finish, ILN 1895.
- f) 13" Oval Salver with the map of the course from the ILN 1876.
These items are illustrated in a large photograph. Some are also illustrated in a