Press Cuttings about Rowing
Press Cuttings File 1997
This is an archive of press clippings which appear to be staying on the Net for an indefinite period.
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MAY NEED TO REGISTER AND THEN TO RE-LOAD THE BOOKMARKED URL
The clippings are arranged in reverse date order with cuttings from 1996 and earlier and 1998 listed separately.
If you are aware of any press reports available without subscription on the World-Wide-Web, please let me know.Please remember that unstable links are a waste of everyone's time so don't send them in until you are sure that they are here to stay.Return to The Rowing Service or the index of New Information, where the most recent clippings are kept.
Rowing magazines and journals:
ALL CLIPPINGS ARE COPYRIGHT TO THE AUTHORS AND PUBLISHERS
PLEASE DO NOT COPY THEM WITHOUT SPECIFIC PERMISSION but LINK their URLs
- Rowing on the river, reliving a magical year, the Philadelphia Inquirer, December 31st.
- Companions take like a duck to water, Simon Hughes in the Telegraph, 27th December.
- Redgrave raises the standard as Wright shows what is wrong, Michael Parkinson in the Telegraph, December 22nd.
- Amateur era ends at Henley, the Times, 18th December.
- Henley drops amateur status from regatta, Telegraph December 18th.
- Believe it or not, it's Ripley, the Times, December 13th.
- Williams enjoys tactical battle, the Times, December 13th.
- The Boat Race, Martin Johnson in the Telegraph, 13th December.
- Oxford trial eights report, Telegraph December 12th.
- Oxford trials report, The Times, December 12th.
- Ripley sings Old Man River, 11th December, Geoffrey Page in the Telegraph.
- Searle is peerless in debut season, The Telegraph, Geoffrey Page, 8th December.
- Searle passes test in tactical triump, The Times, Mike Rosewell, 8th December.
- Forster leaves Searle trailing, The Times Mike Rosewell, December 1st.
- Atlantic rowers' 41-day voyage cuts 32 days from record, The Times, 24th November.
- Kiwi Challenge makes record Atlantic crossing", in the Telegraph Sports Roundup, 24th November.
- Brothers rescued from rowing boat in mid-Atlantic in the Telegraph, 14th November.
- Brothers had rowed in circles for 21 days in the Times 14th November.
- Brothers missing in 3000-mile rowing race, the Times, November 13th.
- News on the Oarsome Foursome from Australia, 13th November.
- Fours title heads for Germany, Mike Rosewell in the Times, 10th November.
- Redgrave drops out of Leander crew, 8th November in the Sunday Times.
- Their Quest: Make the Boat Sing in the Hartford Courant, USA.
- Champion rower is rejected by Oxford, the Times October 22nd, Mike Rosewell.
- Sport in Brief snippet on the same day about the Imperial College quad abandoning their attempt on the Thames record.
- President problems for Oxford, Geoffrey Page in the Telegraph, October 22nd.
- Redgrave is diabetic but battles on, The Telegraph October 20th.
- Sport in Brief comment from the Times on the same subject.
- Heroes bow to natural hazard, The Times, 16th October.
- Leaving on a voyage of discovery, 14th October, The Telegraph.
- Wife on the ocean wave, 14th October, The Telegraph.
- Flotilla of oarsmen challenges the Atlantic, 12th October, The Telegraph.
- Risking all for glory on the seas, The Times.
- Ex-rugby star seeks Boat Race glory at 50, The Telegraph October 7th, Brendan Gallagher.
- Update from CNN on the Dry riverbed race story, October 6th.
- Batten sets record in title defence, The Times October 6th.
- Arrival of water puts off regatta, Philadelphia Inquirer October 5th.
- Rowers rescue woman from river, CNN, October 2nd.
- Tim of the Amazon: our true blue hero, The Telegraph, September 23rd.
- Redgrave and Pinsent support Caversham plans, The Times September 11th.
- Troubled waters for Games, Geoffrey Page, The Telegraph, August 29th.
- Six of the best for Oxford, The Times, 18th August, Mike Rosewell.
- Luzio and Wells go one better, The Times, August 11th, Mike Rosewell.
- Delayed start for juniors, The Times, August 6th, Mike Rosewell
- Bowden takes over at Oxford, The Times, August 2nd.
- British pair capture gold in Nations Cup, The Times, July 28th, Mike Rosewell.
- Britain pin hopes on medal collection, The Times, July 26th, Mike Rosewell.
- Rowers making practice runs on Langley, Augusta Chronicle, USA, July 24th.
- After legal skirmish, Penn AC women head into real battle, Philadelphia Inquirer, July 24th, USA.
- Russell grants Saunders satisfaction, The Times, July 24th, Mike Rosewell.
- Heat races eliminated at rowing team trials, Augusta Chronicle, July 23rd, USA.
- Coode, Trapmore lead Milan assault, The Telegraph, July 22nd, Geoffrey Page.
- Penn AC wins battle to seek two world titles, Philadelphia Inquirer, July 18th, USA.
- Searle races away to set another record, The Times unofficial correspondent, July 21st.
- Searle tops record-makers, The Telegraph, July 21st, Geoffrey Page.
- Redgrave keen to retain his focus on the future, the Times, Mike Rosewell July 15th.
- Four face test as rivals gather from the Times July 11th, Mike Rosewell.
- Selectors get warning, Andy Bowman in the Irish Times, July 11th.
- New award named for Robinhold, from the Philadelphia Inquirer, July 7th.
- Outrigger racing creates quite a splash from CNN.
- Time is the crucial thing in Schuylkill Navy Regatta from the Inquirer, July 6th.
- Pinsent raises the rate for emphatic win, Geoffrey Page in the Telegraph, July 7th.
- Searle takes to sculls like a duck to water, Matthew Pinsent writing in the Telegraph, July 7th.
- Deakin steers into the spotlight, Mike Rosewell in the Times July 7th.
- Oarsmen learn to lap up the daily water torture, Simon Hughes, The Telegraph, July 5th.
- Winckless loses out after clash with Batten, Geoffrey Page, Telegraph July 5th.
- Berlin's oarsmen banned at Henley, Telegraph July 4th.
- Berlin crews have oars removed at a single stroke, the Times, July 4th.
- Americans crash out after catching crab, Geoffrey Page, Telegraph July 3rd.
- Combative Haining throws down gauntlet, in the Times, July 3rd.
- Don't let sport spoil the party in the Times, July 3rd (rowing lovers, beware sanity disturbance).
- Searle can defy novice billing to take sculls, Geoffrey Page, Telegraph July 2nd.
- Henley Regatta veteran will row back the years, Daniel McGrory in the Times, July 2nd.
- Old favourites rise early for long day on the river, The Times, Mike Rosewell, July 2nd.
- Henley's lesser events are a bigger attraction, Telegraph Geoffrey Page, July 1st.
- Henley debut for British four, Geoffrey Page, The Telegraph June 30th
- Redgrave ready for new duties at Henley, Mike Rosewell, the Times, 30th June.
- Women Over 40 Discovering the Athlete Within, in the New York Times byAnna Seaton Huntington, an ex-Olympian rower, June 1997.
- Redgrave and Pinsent stretch unbeaten run, Geoffrey Page, the Telegraph, June 23rd.
- Redgrave lends support, The Telegraph.
- Team effort negates Redgrave's malaise, Mike Rosewell, The Times June 23rd.
- Rowing: Henley produces thrills in the chill, The Times, Mike Rosewell, June 23rd.
- OR Juniorrowers make mark on national scene by R Cathey Daniels, the Oakridger Online, June 1997.
- British best at Henley, Mike Rosewell, The Times June 20th.
- Strengthening challenge to Redgrave's World Cup four, Mike Rosewell, The Times 20th June.
- Henley field expanded as scullers flood in, The Telegraph, 20th June.
- Surprise return for Searle by Geoffrey Page in the Telegraph, 19th June.
- ARA voice concerns in the Sports Roundup, Telegraph June 18th.
- Abusive behaviour and FISA developments in the Sports Roundup, Telegraph June 17th.
- London on top form as Henley approaches, Mike Rosewell in the Times, June 16th.
- The Mystery of the Female Rower's Wrist from MasterSports, via the Rower's Resource.
- Redgrave and Co on top of the world, The Telegraph's Geoffrey Page, June 2nd.
- Champions defy all challenges, The Times Oxford bumps correspondent, June 2nd.
- Business booms for Redgrave, The Times, Mike Rosewell, June 2nd.
- Redgrave still has winning habit, Mike Rosewell, The Times, June 1st.
- Redgrave hunts fifth gold with three men in a boat, Geoffrey Page in the Telegraph, June 1st.
- Impressive start by Redgrave's new four, The Times, May 31st.
- Oxford Eights commentary, May 31st in the Times.
- Cracknell anxious to pull his weight, Mike Rosewell in the Times, May 29th.
- Boat Race needs a tonic after sponsors pull out, The Telegraph, Geoffrey Page, May 29th.
- Oriel under pressure on two fronts, The Times, May 28th.
- Radley end 16-year wait for repeat eights win, The Times, May 26th.
- ORRA scrambles to prepare for US Rowing Nationals, Oakridger Online May 28th, R Cathey Daniels.
- SRA results, US, Philadelphia Inquirer, May 25th.
- Article about funding for elite athletes in the UK, The Times May 23rd.
- ORRA juniors win Southeast Regional, Oakridger Online May 20th, R Cathey Daniels.
- rowing for high school girls article from the Philadelphia Inquirer, May 16th. Login may be required.
- Lexus Central Sprints competitors seek attention of NCAA, Oakridger Online May 16th, R Cathey Daniels.
- UT women's crew puts emphasis on varsity four, Oakridger Online May 16th, R Cathey Daniels.
- Sports roundup from the Telegraph, May 15th, interesting 2004 Olympics snippet.
- Dad Vail news from the Philadelphia Inquirer, May 13th.
- GB land 64 medals in Belgian regatta, Telegraph, 12th May.
- Kettle beats Pattullo in the Wingfield Sculls, Telegraph 10th May.
- BUSA report from the Telegraph May 5th.
- New Boathouse on the Schuylkill, Philadelphia Inquirer, 1st May.
- That cinq-ing feeling, Varsity newspaper, Cambridge, April.
- Leander men go with the tide, Carole Cadwalladr, the Telegraph, April 28th.
- Leander take women on board, Mike Rosewell, the Times, April 28th.
- Leander to admit women, Regatta Online editor Chris Dodd, April 27th.
- Garton dives into rowing with a passion for Oak Ridge boy's varsity eights crew, Oak Ridger Online April 25th, R Cathey Daniels.
- ORR girls hope to keep perfect record intact, Oakridger Online April 25th, R Cathey Daniels.
- Two into four equals 2000, Mike Rosewell, the Times, April 23rd.
- "Other two" more than the filling in a sandwich, Sarah Edworthy, the Telegraph, April 23rd.
- Ever wondered how those buoy lines are laid out?, Oakridger Online April 22nd, R Cathey Daniels.
- Virginia wins SIRA - UT women are third, Oakridger Online April 21st, R Cathey Daniels.
- Melton Hill to be crowded with rowers, Oakridger Online April 18th, R Cathey Daniels.
- Oak Ridge hosts SIRA... again. Oakridger Online April 18th, R Cathey Daniels.
- OR's Iacovino continues her climb up the rowing ladder, Oakridger Online April 17th, R Cathey Daniels.
- second and third articles from the Union Tribune newspaper, US, about the CSan Diego Crew Classic. Username and id required.
- Kettle steams to Scullers Head title, Mike Rosewell, the Times, April 7th.
- Scullers spring shock, Geoffrey Page, the Telegraph, April 7th.
- Sports Roundup with UK squad news in the Telegraph, April 6th.
- Atlantic Rowing Challenge: One way to keep marriage afloat, Sarah Edworthy in the Telegraph, April 2nd
- Cambridge rise to the ultimate challenge, Mike Rosewell, The Times March 31st.
- Oxford hopes washed away by charge, The Times March 31st.
- Davies catches top BBC prize for crabbines, The Times TV section, March 31st.<
- Late change gives Cambridge edge, Geoffrey Page, The Telegraph, March 31st.
- Radio days fuelled in pub and spiced with juicy tales, The Telegraph, March 31st.
- Changes to menu fail to detract from festive fare of Boat Race, The Telegraph, March 31st.
- Light Blues steer clear, Sunday Times, March 30th.
- Afternoon tide brings harsh reality of despair and elation in equal parts, The Times, Rob Hughes, March 28th.
- Light Blues still seeking right blend, Telegraph Geoffrey Page, March 28th.
- Boat Race: Quality will count, Phil Halliday, FT.
- All-conquering coxless pair spread their oars, Keith Wheatley in the FT.
- Dutch master brushes up technique, Michael Wale in the Telegraph, March 28th.
- Cambridge in seat swap, Times Mike Rosewell, March 28th.
- Young Americans are ready to renew old college rivalries, MikeRosewell, The Times March 27th.
- Cambridge suffer two defeats at hands of reserves, Mike Rosewell, The Times March 27th.
- Cambridge off the Ball, Geoffrey Page, Telegraph March 27th.
- Row, row, row your boat, Oakridger Online March 26th, R Cathey Daniels.
- Cambridge fluff lines in rehearsal, Telegraph March 26th, Geoffrey Page.
- Impressive Oxford show early promise, Mike Rosewell, The Times March 26th.
- Oxford surpass Topolski's masterclass, The Times Mike Rosewell, March 25th.
- Weigh-in offers few clues to outcome of Boat Race, by Mike Rosewell, March 25th The Times.
- Former room-mates hold the key by Michael Wale, Telegraph March 25th.
- Cambridge women show sixth sense from Mike Rosewell, The Times March 24th.
- Head Of The River: Steady Leander retain title by Geoffrey Page, Telegraph March 24th.
- Women's Boat Race - Cambridge on top, Geoffrey Page, March 24th.
- Oxford seek formula to banish the blues by Nick Pitt in theSunday Times March 23rd.
- Cambridge stand tall to be counted, Telegraph March 22nd.
- Leander take the leading role, Mike Rosewell, The Times March 21st.
- Cambridge quickly into their stride, Mike Rosewell, March 17th.
- Cambridge's class shows at the double, Geoffrey Page, March 17th.
- Boat Race preview, Matthew Pinsent, March 17th.
- Varsity boat crews show their racy new colours, Telegraph March 17th.
- Back in the gold routine, Sunday Times mid-March.
- Different strokes for today's rowing folks, Ivo Tennant, The Times March 12th.
- Surf on the Thames, The Times, March 12th.
- Leander may end ban on women, The Times March 11th.
- Obituary of Jack Wilson, The Times, March.
- New College fail their bump test, The Telegraph March 7th.
- Ellis steers her way to fifth Head title, The Times March 3rd.
- Boat Race crews open to public scrutiny in the Times March 3rd.
- The sheer agony of going nowhere, The Times, on CRASH-B's, March 3rd.
- ORRA juniors gear up for spring, Oakridger Online February 25th, R Cathey Daniels.
- Chris Dodd: Mijnders is no soft Dutch as he leaves President in reserve, on the BoatRace crews.
- Bellamy misses university challenge by Mike Rosewell, 25th February.
- Mijnders looking after Oxford's interest by David Miller, 25th February.
- Oxford go for new blood as Bellamy stands aside by Geoffrey Page, 25th February.
- Boat Race rivals sign new pact, Geoffrey Page, 21st February.
- Universities unite in Boat Race declaration, by Mike Rosewell, 20th February.
- a href="http://www.the-times.co.uk/news/pages/tim/97/02/19/timsptrow02001.html?1539055">Internationals on show in University trials, Mike Rosewell, 19th February.
- Britain toast success in Sydney on the FISA agreements, February 17th.
- Rower in shark attack shock, 4th February.
- Article in the Philadelphia Inquirer, 1st February 1997.
- "Motley Crew" article from the Inquirer onPhiladelphia high school rowing.
- Redgrave likes being back in smelly hole in the wall by Michael Calvin, Daily Telegraph, Monday 27th January.
The 1996 and earlier press cuttings are listed separately.