BA Biological Sciences - St Catherine’s College, University of Oxford (2014-2017)
Research & Interests
I work at the interface of evolutionary and developmental biology in order to answer questions about how animal groups evolve at the level of the genome. I am particularly interested in the role of gene duplications in animal evolution and the functionalisation of duplicates with respect to their ancestor.
I have worked for the past two years in the lab of Professor Alison Woollard (Biochemistry Department, Oxford) tackling problems in the field of evo-devo. This work is in collaboration with Professor Sebastian Shimeld (Zoology Department, Oxford).
My rotational projects and subsequent DPhil project will be supervised by Professor Peter Holland (Zoology Department, Oxford) and Professor Alison Woollard and will focus on gene evolution dynamics and the divergence of paralogous genes using nematodes as a model system.
- “Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny or the other way around? Lessons from a Hedgehog-like family in Nematoda.” EA Baker, SPR Gilbert, SM Shimeld, A Woollard. (in preparation)
- “Hedgehog-like signalling in C. elegans?” EA Baker, SPR Gilbert, SM Shimeld, A Woollard. (2018) Genetics Society Newsletter
- Ecology and Evolution of C. elegans and Other Nematodes 2018 (Cambridge, UK) - Poster presentation
- Euro EvoDevo 2018 (Galway, Ireland) - Poster presentation
- British Society for Developmental Biology (BSDB) Annual Spring Meeting 2018 (University of Warwick, Coventry) - Poster presentation
- UK Worm Meeting (London, UK) 2018 - Oral presentation
- UK Genes and Development Conference, Genetics Society UK (Edinburgh, UK) 2017 - Oral presentation (First Prize for Best Talk)
Public Engagement & Other Work
- Elected Genetics Society UK Postgraduate Representative (commencing full-time in 2020)
- Awarded unique post of ‘Public Engagement Ambassador’ for the Genetics Society UK
- Organised, managed and assisted at many public engagement events for the University of Oxford and the Genetics Society UK (2017-)
- Tutor and laboratory demonstrator for 1st, 2nd and 3rd year Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular) undergraduates (2017-) at University of Oxford
- Laboratory supervisor for one FHS Biological Sciences student and three Biochemistry (Molecular and Cellular) students (2017-) at University of Oxford
- I organise the Cell Biology, Development and Genetics (CBDG) weekly seminar series for the Biochemistry department, University of Oxford
- Twitter: @EmAnnaBaker
- Email: email@example.com