[Specific Countries & Regions] [General Sites]
- * Burma
International: Publications on Myanmar
- Includes annual reports and news reports.
- Free Burma
- General background, interviews, audio-visual section, and a large
- A set of categorised links.
- China: Goya to Beijing
- "In the politically responsive spirit of Goya,
internationally acclaimed contemporary artists have gathered together to
remember the tragic events which took place in Tiananmen Square, Beijing,
China, June 4, 1989.
The purpose of this exhibition is to commemorate the anniversary of this
political struggle for democracy. It is the occasion to explore the
contemporary artistic expression as a vehicle for political
The underlying universal theme of the exhibition is, in essence, the
yearning for freedom - freedom from oppression - the freedom to express
oneself unrestrained by political force. It is this sentiment that joined
the Chinese students together - a democratic movement costing many of them
their lives on June fourth, 1989."
- My own Cyprus page. It contains links to a variety of sites, some
relevant to this page.
- * East
- East Timor WWW Page
- Pictures, information, and links.
- Loro Sae - Timor Home
- Maintained by Alexandre Gabriel. Also available in Portuguese.
- An information service on East Timor, with a history of its oppression
by Indonesia, and news about the struggle against that independence, as
well as cultural information (art, literature, etc.).
- Turkey: Human Rights in Turkey
- site is
dedicated to the `Struggle for Human Rights, justice and Democracy in
- AAAS Directory of Human
Rights Resources on the Internet
- American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Links organised in various ways.
- AAAS Science and Human Rights Programme
- Details of the programme, news reports, area projects, etc.
- Details of human-rights abuses in different countries,
and where to write to make your views known.
U.K. | Scotland
- Centre for World Indigenous Studies
- Details of the centre and its work, with links to related and
- Derechos Human
- Human Rights Internet
- "A Human Rights Gateway."
- Human Rights Resources
on the WWW
- Based at the Department of International Politics, the University of
- Human Rights Watch
- Human Rights Web Home Page
- "a refereed international electronic journal that
helps focus academic attention on the study of injustices around the
world. The editors welcome essays devoted to understanding the nature of
injustice, types of injustice, and the history, politics, and moral
psychology of particular injustices, ranging from global to local events.
Disagreements over which injustices warrant attention also are part of the
problematique of IS. Since IS has an interdisciplinary orientation, its
articles should aim to be accessible to the general
but I've linked to the relevant part.
- International Committee of
the Red Cross
- Not easy to use with a text-based browser. Offers details of the
organisation, its work around the world, conferences, etc.
- News and views on all aspects of development, conflict, aid, etc.
Another badly frames-crippled
site, but I've linked to the relevant part.
- Peace Net
- An e-zine featuring 3 sections: The stories: Reportage from
places like Gaza, Moscow, Haiti, LA, Guatemala and Bosnia. The
essay: A gallery for photo journalism. WWW world news:
hundreds of newspapers, magazines and info sources from 111 countries.
- UN Human Rights