K. F. Hilliard
University Lecturer in German
Fellow in German, St. Peter's College, Oxford
Lecturer in German, Hertford College, Oxford
Niemand kennt sich, insofern er nur er selbst und nicht auch zugleich ein andrer ist.
(Friedrich Schlegel )
Questions and suggestions are welcome and can be deposited at my e-mail address .
Contemporary German-speaking countries
Information about Austria
Tatsachen über Deutschland
Daily digest of culture/literature pages in the German press
The Neue Zürcher Zeitung
Der Standard (Austrian daily newspaper)
Portal for German newspapers online
DeutschlandRadio/Deutschlandfunk Topical programmes, esp. good on cultural affairs. Online text only: no audio.
- Information (mainly) for my college pupils
- Information and reading list for entrants
- Information, reading lists and background material for the Prelims course
- Information and reading lists for Final Honours
- Information for the Preliminary Course in German The current Faculty guide to the first-year course.
- German Final Honours School Handbook The current Faculty guide to the Final Honours course.
- IT in the German course
- British Council Language Assistants Information on the year abroad and the assistantships programme.
- Summer courses in Germany Information on summer courses on German language and culture.
- Etiquette and inter-cultural skills for the year abroad
- Improve your German with an e-mail exchange International E-Mail Tandem Network: Sprachenlernen im Tandem über das Internet.
- Forum for e-mail exchanges with German speakers
- Lectures: Bibliographies and other material
- See the Weblearn site for bibliographies and handouts relating to my lectures
- Resources for advanced study and research
- Work in progress
- Research resources in German Studies (from Intute: Arts and Humanities)
- German language
- German language guide for the Preliminary course
- German CALL exercises in the 1st-year course
- Computer simulation of Finals oral examination
- Deutsch als Fremdsprache: online exercises
- Deutsch als Fremdsprache: (more) online tests and exercises
- Deutsch als Fremdsprache: (further) online tests and exercises
- Online grammar help
- Guides to the Rechtschreibreform
- Deutsch lernen, Deutsche Welle Audio, video and text material, with exercises, from the broadcaster Deutsche Welle.
- Guides to the Rechtschreibreform
- Test your knowledge of the Rechtschreibreform
- Homepage of the Dudenverlag
- Die 100 Wörter des Jahrhunderts
- Guide to online German dictionaries
- Das Wörterbuchnetz: German dictionaries, including Grimm and Lexer
- Wörter des Jahres 1993-
- German-English/English-German dictionary
- German literature
- Biographical information and links on German authors
- German literature on the Web Works by German authors from the Middle Ages to the present, from A to Z by author.
- www.germanlit.org: A website for German literature Periods of German literature and authors from the Middle Ages to the present, with suggestions for further reading.
- Einladung zur Literaturwissenschaft
An indexed guide to German literary studies from the University of Essen.
- Contemporary German writing on the Web
- Literatur im Deutschlandradio
- Showcase of new German books and books about Germany New publications in history, fiction, poetry and literary criticism.
- German history
- German history from the Kaiserreich to the present
- 100 Deutsche Jahre Topic-based survey of German history of the last 100 years.
- German Historical Institute, Washington D. C.: German History in Documents and Images
- Deutsches Historisches Museum, Berlin
- Haus der Geschichte, Bonn
- Online reference
- Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, Deutsches Wörterbuch
- The Literary Encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia Britannica
- Online audio-visual media in German
To use a number of these resources, your computer needs hardware (a soundcard and speakers) and software (a media player). If the software is not already installed on your computer, you can get a free download of RealPlayer from Real.com. The list of stations given below is highly selective.
Links to other sources
University of Oxford Home Page
St. Peter's College Home Page
Hertford College Home Page
Home Page of the Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, University of Oxford
Weblearn Oxford University Libraries Including links to online catalogues and other electronic resources
Taylor Institution Library
University of Oxford Language Centre: German Resources
Sir Robert Taylor Society The Society holds annual meetings for teachers of Modern Languages.
Online tutorial: internet information skills for modern linguists
German Studies Web
Institute for German Studies, Birmingham: German Web Resources
Searching the World Wide Web: German sites
Joe Boulter's guide to literary theory
Die zehn wichtigsten deutschsprachigen Romane des 20. Jahrhunderts: Ergebnisse einer Umfrage
Think German campaign in 2010 - events to promote German as a foreign language
Reasons for learning German
John Le Carré's reasons for learning German
© 1996-2012 K.F. Hilliard
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com