Awards and Prizes
Foundation Research Fellowship in International Security, 1980.
- Social Science Research Council personal grant
for research on ‘Politics and the Management of National Security in Israel’.
Spent 1981-82 academic year carrying out research on this project in
- British Academy Research Readership,
States Institute of Peace, research grant of $39,176 for ‘King Hussein and the
Quest for Peace in the Middle
- British Academy Research Professorship, 2003-2006.
- The Political Studies Association WJM Mackenzie Book Prize for 1988 for Collusion across the Jordan.
- The RTZ David Watt
Memorial Prize for 1992 for the article ‘Israel and the
Gulf’, published in the London Review of Books, 24 January 1991.
- War and Peace in the Middle East was short-listed for the 1995 Lionel Gelber Prize (a Canadian prize for the best book in International Relations).