Taruithorn Termcard, Michaelmas Term 1996
Meetings are on Fridays at 8pm in Christ Church Lecture Room 2,
unless otherwise stated. Committee meetings are on Mondays at 7pm in
Anna's room in St John's. All are welcome: ask a committee member for
- First Week - Friday 18th October - Introductory Meeting
- Find out all the inside information about the society from the old members
and hear the 20-minute Hobbit in all its glory!
- Second Week - Friday 25th October - Speaker Meeting
Anke Buttner, our ex-secretary, will give a talk on "Dragons in Middle-Earth"
- Third Week - Friday 1st November - Debate
"Eowyn's marriage was a mistake". Please let the commitee know if you would
like to speak for or against this. Questions will be taken after the main
- Fourth Week - Friday 8th November - Gandalf's Fireworks
Or should that be "Dwarf's Fireworks"? Colin "Dwarf" Armstrong will be co-
ordinating this year's display on St. Hilda's meadow. Gates open at 7.00.
Tickets for this event are £4 for members and £4.50 for non-members and are
available from Gavin Babbage at Hertford.
- Fifth Week - Friday 15th November - Middle-Earth Culinary Evening
Sample the gourmet delights of Middle-Earth. Bring a recipe, or even better,
- Sixth Week - Friday 22nd November - Speaker Meeting
Mr. Richard Hamer of Christ Church will speak from first-hand experience
about Tolkien as an Oxford tutor.
- Seventh Week- Friday 29th November - Video Evening
Suggestions of videos for this meeting will be welcomed. Otherwise it could
be Ralph Bakshi again. You have been warned...
- Eighth Week - Friday 6th December - Bring a Mathom Party
Time once again to dispose of all those useless bits and pieces which you
couldn't possibly throw away, in true Hobbit fashion. Bring lots of food and
To be arranged: a Singers' meeting one weekend. If anyone in Oxford
would be prepared to host this, please let us know."