Usenet: Religion-Related Newsgroups


Note: You might not be able to get all of these groups - it depends on your local news server. Two non-UK groups available at Oxford are aus.religion and fj.life.religion.

There are four main sections: alt, soc, talk, and uk. The last of these will probably be available only if your server is in the UK; otherwise there may be a Usenet hierarchy for your own country.

Generally speaking, there's no discrenible difference between the alt, soc, and talk groups. The alt (alternative) groups are less official than the others, though this doesn't usually show up in the content.

The best advice I can give if you've never sampled the delights of Usenet groups is this: don't allow yourself to put off immediately, however chaotic and/or repellent things seem. You'll soon find that 95% of most of the groups is noise, and you'll learn to spot it and ignore it. The remaining 5% can offer interesting and sometimes informative discussion; it's worth persevering.

You should be aware of copyright as it affects Usenet articles.

For details of non-Usenet discussion, see here.


***alt groups***
alt.atheism
Discussion of atheism. In theory. In practice, it's more like a honeypot around which Christian Fundamentalists swarm, buzzing frenetically.
alt.atheism.moderated
More like the real thing, though not entirely free from the odd itinerant preacher.
alt.atheism.satire
Pretty much what it says.
alt.christnet.*
alt.messianic
Messianic traditions.
alt.religion.adm3a
alt.religion.aishdas
alt.religion.all-worlds (FAQ)
Grokking the Church of All Worlds from Heinlein's book.
alt.religion.asatru
alt.religion.bonnism
alt.religion.broadcast
alt.religion.buddhism
alt.religion.christian
alt.religion.eckankar (FAQ)
Eckankar, the religion of the Light and Sound of God.
alt.religion.gnostic (FAQ)
History and philosophies of the Gnostic sects.
alt.religion.islam (FAQ)
Discussion of Islamic Faith & Soc.Religion.Islam.
alt.religion.krishna
alt.religion.meijer
alt.religion.mormon
alt.religion.sabaean
alt.religion.scientology (FAQ)
L. Ron Hubbard's Church of Scientology.
alt.religion.secular.atavism (FAQ)
Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny!
alt.religion.shamanism
Use soc.religion.shamanism instead.
alt.religion.universal-life
Universal Life Church.
alt.religion.vaisnava
Discussion of the Vaisnava spiritual tradition.
alt.religion.wicca (FAQ)
alt.religion.zoroastrianism (FAQ)
Zoraster's/Zarathustra's religion, mazdaism.
***soc groups***
soc.culture.jewish
Despite its name, the discussion here is largely centred on religious matters.
soc.religion.bahai (FAQ)
Discussion of the Baha'i Faith. (Moderated)
soc.religion.christian
soc.religion.eastern
Discussions of Eastern religions. (Moderated)
soc.religion.gnosis (FAQ)
Gnosis, marifat, jnana & direct sacred experience. (Moderated)
soc.religion.hindu
Discussion about the Hindu dharma, philosophy, culture. (Moderated)
soc.religion.islam (FAQ)
Discussions of the Islamic faith. (Moderated)
soc.religion.quaker (FAQ)
The Religious Society of Friends.
soc.religion.shamanism (FAQ)
Discussion of the full range of shamanic experience. (Moderated)
soc.religion.sikhism
Sikh Religion and Sikhs all over the world. (Moderated)
soc.religion.unitarian-univ (FAQ)
Unitarian-Universalism & non-creedal religions. (Moderated)
soc.religion.vaishnava
***talk groups***
talk.origins (FAQ)
Evolution versus creationism (sometimes hot!).
talk.religion.buddhism
Discussion of Buddhism.
talk.religion.misc
General religious discussion. Warning: this one's immense - and contains a good deal of preaching and other non-discussion material. Don't bother writing to the perpetrators to point this out; however polite you are you won't get anywhere (one person flashed his Cambridge M.A.(!) at me, another tried to pull rank as an ex-civil servant... most are just abusive).
talk.religion.newage (FAQ)
Esoteric and minority religions & philosophies.
talk.philosophy.humanism
Humanism in the modern world.
talk.philosophy.misc
Not always very philosophical, and often indistinguishable from `talk.religion.misc'.
***uk groups***
uk.religion.buddhist
uk.religion.christian
uk.religion.hindu
uk.religion.interfaith
uk.religion.islam (FAQ)
uk.religion.jewish
uk.religion.misc
uk.religion.other-faiths

Up to the Religion index page.