Department of Economics
University of Oxford
University of Oxford
- Urbanization and Structural Transformation, The Quarterly Journal of Economics, 127(2), 535-586, May 2012, (lead article), with Guy Michaels and Stephen Redding, Appendix.
- Trade as an Engine of Creative Destruction: Mexican experience with Chinese competition, Journal of International Economics, 89(2), 379-391, March 2013, with Leonardo Iaconvone and L. Alan Winters,
- Success and failure of African exporters on export markets, Journal of Development Economics, 101, 284-296, March 2013, with Olivier Cadot, Leonardo Iaconvone and Denisse Pierola.
- Advertising expenditure and consumer prices, International Journal of Industrial Organization, 31(4), 331-341, July 2013.
- Cities as spatial clusters, Journal of Economic Geography, Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 739-758, July 2014.
- The geometry of the distance coefficient in gravity equations in international trade, Review of International Economics, 24(5), 1167-1177, November 2016.
- The Benefits of Forced Experimentation: Striking Evidence from the London Underground Network., The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Volume 132, Issue 4, 1 November 2017, Pages 1969-2018, with Shaun Larcom and Tim Willems.
- Resetting the Urban Network: 117-2012, The Economic Journal, Volume 128, Issue 608, pages 378-412, February 2018, with Guy Michaels, Appendix.
- A Dissection of Trading Capital: Trade in the Aftermath of the Fall of the Iron Curtain, Journal of Economic History, 78(2), 258-393, June 2018. With Matthias Beestermöller, Appendix.
- Task Specialization in U.S. Cities from 1880-2000. Journal of the European Economic Association, Volume 17, Issue 3, June 2019, Pages 754–798. With Guy Michaels and Stephen Redding, Appendix.
- Flooded Cities, with Adriana Kocornik-Mina, Thomas McDermott and Guy Michaels, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 12 (2): 35-66, April 2020.
- Migration and urbanisation in Post-Apartheid South Africa, with Jan Bakker and Chris Parsons, World Bank Economic Review, Volume 34, Issue 2, June 2020, Pages 509–532.
- Planning Ahead for Better Neighborhoods: Long Run Evidence from Tanzania, with Guy Michaels, Dzhamilya Nigmatulina, Tanner Regan, Neeraj Baruah and Amanda Dahlstrand-Rudin, Journal of Political Economy, July 2021, 129(7), pages 2112-2156. Document includes web appendix.
- Of Mice and Merchants - Trade and Growth in the Iron Age, with Jan Bakker, Stephan Maurer and Jörn-Steffen Pischke, accepted at the Review of Economics and Statistics.
- What Future for History Dependence in Spatial Economics?, with Jeffrey Lin. Accepted at Regional Science and Urban Economics.
Selected news coverage