The Murray Scriptorium is a pilot edition of the letters and papers of Sir James Augustus Henry Murray (1837–1915), chief editor of the Oxford English Dictionary from 1879 until his death. In his efforts to trace the origins and meanings of words, Murray sent so many letters that the Post Office specially installed a pillar box outside his house at 78 Banbury Road, Oxford, where it stands to this day.
Based principally on manuscripts in Oxford's Bodleian Library, this edition of Murray's letters is being undertaken by Professor Charlotte Brewer (Hertford College, Oxford) and Dr Stephen Turton (from October 2021, Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge). The pilot, which is the first stage of Brewer and Turton's Murray Papers editing project, has been funded by a British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grant. Its website is being built by Huber Digital and will be publicly accessible at murrayscriptorium.org from early 2022.
For more information, please see the initial announcement by the Oxford English Faculty and a more detailed update by Brewer on Examining the OED. A preprint of an article on the project's aims and development (forthcoming in Dictionaries: Journal of the Dictionary Society of North America) may be accessed here.
© 2021 Murray Scriptorium.