Posters design: Cristina Neagu
Recipe for Success
Food and Drink Through Christ Church's History
April - June 2011
This exhibition celebrating the art of cooking and drinking in one of the most famous Oxford Colleges is in honour of John Harris, Steward at Christ Church.
The exhibition will be open in Christ Church Upper Library between
13 April - 27 June 2011.
Visiting hours (Monday-Friday):
A Man for All Seasons
March - April 2011
highliting the life of
Marshal of the Royal Air Force Charles Frederick Algernon Portal, 1st
Viscount Portal of Hungerford KG GCB OM DSO & Bar MC (21 May 1893 – 22
April 1971), a senior Royal Air Force officer and an advocate of strategic
bombing. He was the British Chief of the Air Staff during most of the
Second World War.
Looking for Aldrich
January - March 2011
Educated at Westminster School under Dr Richard Busby, Henry Aldrich (1648-1710) entered Christ Church in 1662. He never left the College. In 1692, he was also appointed Vice-Chancellor of the University of Oxford. The accomplished versatility of Henry Aldrich was nothing short of phenomenal. He was an architect, classicist, mathematician, engraver, philosopher, poet and collector. As such, he had a profound impact on both the University and the College he led from 1689 to 1710, the year he died. To the despair of many scholars however, in his will he directed that all his letters and manuscripts be burned. So, ‘looking for Aldrich’ has always been a very frustrating and difficult enterprise. The exhibition now open in the Upper Library complements the one organized by Christ Church Picture Gallery. It attempts to find traces of the impact Aldrich might have had on his contemporaries by focusing on his passion for mathematics and logic, achitecture and achitectural drawing. It dwells on Aldrich’s association with Oxford University Press, book design and volumes that he found inspiration in. It also offers a glimpse into a few exceptionally valuable scores that Aldrich bequethed to Christ Church, which constitute the core of the music collection.
The exhibition was open in Christ Church Upper Library between
21 January - 11 March 2011
The Naked Library
October 2010 - February 2011
This exhibition is an
attempt to capture the complexity and range of the work undertaken in the
Library during the 2009-2011 restoration project. Since the end of Trinity
term 2009 until the beginning of Michaelmas 2010, the Library has been the
scene of frenetic activity. With everything now back to normal and with
little evidence of the major building works that closed the library for
two summers in a row, it is no longer easy to recall the details of the
restoration. This exhibition is the Library’s means to say thank you to
all those whose skill, care and enthusiasm have ensured a clean bill of
health for Christ Church Library.
Paradoxical as it may seem, very little of their effort is
visible. All is now neatly tucked away beneath floorboards, behind walls,
inside desks, in the loft or up in the roof. To reclaim a few glimpses of
what lies beneath two long hot summers, we invite to you to a quick stroll
on memory lane.The exhibition is organized in four main sections:
Architecture (Plans and Drawings), Time Capsules (Intentional and
Unintentional), Decoration and Building works.
October 2010 - 4 February 2011